Tuesday, November 29, 2011

6. How have you tried to effect change in relation to an issue of personal, local, or national significance?

In order to effect change in our community, I have attended events that support the GLBT (Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transsexual) community. The reason to such is because many people tend to put down those whom are part of this specific community and even organize hate crimes against them. I find it extremely unjust and repulsive that people would even think of terrorizing others due to their sexuality. My cousin, whom defined himself as homosexual, was beaten and harassed at school for months before he was driven to committing suicide. The whole situation was devastating and frustrating due to the fact that the ones who beat him were not brought to justice. The detective called the bullying as “harmless” and stated that my cousin was in need of psychological help and is the reason why he killed himself. This angered my family tremendously and now when I hear someone is being picked on for their sexuality, I immediately jump in to defend them. The people who form the GLBT community are no different than those whom are “straight.” They have feelings, families and aspirations just like everyone else. Therefore, they deserve to be treated with respect and equality. In order to raise awareness about this concern, my family has been trying to form an organization that supports the GLBT community and seeks for peace within them and the “straight” community. In the meantime, I volunteer at events that raise awareness for this issue and think of new ways of building a bridge between the GLBT and straight community.

No comments:

Post a Comment